County commissioners begin search for new county manager
The Lenoir County Commissioners listen to a presentation by Andy Bailey, with N.C. Department of Transportation, at this week's meeting. Photo by Bryan Hanks / Neuse News
This week's Lenoir County Commissioners meeting was filled with lots of information and discussion after missing the regularly-scheduled meeting due to the July 4 holiday.
Among the highlights:
- The commissioners have decided to set up a subcommittee to help search for a new county manager. Chairman Craig Hill and commissioners Linda Rouse-Sutton and J. Mac Daughety recently sat down with Bill Henry from the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners to discuss the process.
“We're not only trying to recruit a manager but we are trying to sell the community,” Hill said.
- Current Lenoir County Manager Mike Jarman issued a memo to Lenoir County Commissioners for a special meeting for Thursday, July 26 at noon at the new Lenoir County Cooperative Extension Office. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss information regarding the manager recruitment and search process. This is an open public meeting and all citizens are invited to attend.
- Lenoir Community College President, Dr. Rusty Hunt discussed the idea of a new Aerospace and Advanced Manufacturing Center which would be located at the Spirit Composite Center of Excellence.
“Imagine this facility transforming into a vibrant center of innovation and modern workforce development and industry improvement, a facility that is busy with energy that invites existing businesses to expand and invites new industries to select Lenoir County for expansion and investment,” Hunt said.
Hunt proposed the center would house many different programs, including an aerospace program that would enhance the current program with Spirit AeroSystems, as well as other advanced manufacturing programs like computer engineering technology, industrial systems technology, and the manufacturing academy.
Hunt asked the commissioners to approve funds to help fund this project. The program and center would begin as early as January, if approved.
Hill suggested moving the decision until the Aug. 4 meeting.
- Andy Bailey, with N.C. Department of Transportation, spoke to the commissioners about the Lenoir County Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP), focusing on the opportunities for various projects throughout the county. These projects varied from highways to bike routes, railroads and pedestrian path recommendations.
The (CTP) was approved by the commissioners unanimously.
- The commissioners passed a proclamation honoring the memory of former commissioner Jackie Brown, who passed away in June.